How To Register With The SSS (Social Security System) As A Self-Employed Member In The Philippines

If you are a self-employed person who wants coverage under the Social Security System (SSS) of the Philippines, your first step would be to accomplish and submit a Self-Employed Data Record form also referred to as SS Form RS-1. If you do not have an existing SS number, you can secure it by submitting, along with your SS Form RS-1, the original and certified true copy of any of the primary or any two of the secondary documents that are accepted by the agency. These primary and secondary documents are listed below.

List of primary documents for those registering with SSS if you are self-employed (remember that you can present just one of these documents)
1. Baptismal certificate
2. Birth certificate
3. Driver’s license
4. Passport
5. Professional Regulation Commission Card
6. Seaman’s Book

List of secondary documents for those registering with the SSS if you are self-employed (remember that you need to submit two of these in the absence of the primary documents listed above)
1. Alien Certificate of Registration
2. ATM card with the cardholder’s name
3. ATM card and Certification from the card if the card doesn’t contain the holder’s name
4. Bank Account Passbook
5. Birth or Baptismal Certificate of child or children
6. Certificate from the following offices: Office of the Southern/Northern Cultural Communities and Office of Muslim Affairs
7. Certificate of Licensure/Qualification Documents/Seafarer’s ID and Record Book from Maritime Industry Authority
8. Certificate of Naturalization from the Bureau of Immigration
9. Company ID
10. Company Representative Authorization issued by the SSS
11. Credit Card
12. Fisherman’s Card issued by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
13. GSIS card
14. GSIS Certificate of Membership
15. Health or Medical Card
16. ID card issued by LGUs (e.g. barangay, municipality, or city)
17. ID card issued by a professional association recognized by the PRC (Professional Regulation Commission)
18. Life Insurance Policy
19. Marriage Contract
20. Membership card issued by private companies
21. NBI clearance
22. Overseas Worker Welfare Administration card
23. Pag-ibig member’s data form
24. Permit to carry firearms issued by the Firearms and Explosives Unit of the PNP (Philippine National Police)
25. PHIC member’s data record
26. Police clearance
27. Postal ID card
28. School ID
29. Seafarer’s Registration Certificate issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Authority (POEA)
30. Senior citizen card
31. Tax identification number card
32. Temporary license issued by the Land Transportation Office
33. Transcript of school records
34. Voter’s Identification Card or Affidavit

In the SS Form RS-1, you will be asked to fill up blanks about your name, date of birth, place of birth, sex, civil status, telephone number (residence and office), postal code, profession or business, year you started your profession or business, code for your profession or business, date of coverage, tax identification number, yearly net earnings, and monthly net earnings. You will also be asked to put the names of your beneficiaries like your spouse, parents, children, and other beneficiaries.

Also, bear in mind that as a self-employed contributor, you can pay your contributions either monthly or quarterly. This means you have the option of paying for dues only four times in a year (March, June, September, and December).

Steps In Becoming A Self-Employed SSS Member
Step One: Fill out the SS Form RS-1
Step Two: Submit the form to the nearest SSS office near you.
Step Three: Be ready to answer questions that an SSS officer will ask from you. You will be asked about your source of income so make sure that you bring with you proof of your source of income.
Step Four: If the SSS officer is satisfied with your submitted documents as well as your answers, your SS Form RS-1 will be approved and duly stamped.
Step Five: You are now good to go. You are now a self-employed member and contributor of the SSS.
Registering and Becoming a Self-Employed Member of the SSS (Frequently Asked Questions)
Question: Can I apply and register as a self-employed SSS member online?
Answer: The answer is no.

The Philippine government's definition of a self-employed person is as follows:
A self-employed person, regardless of trade, business or occupation, with an income of at least P1,000 a month and not over 60 years old, should register with the SSS. Included, but not limited to the following are self-employed persons:
1. self-employed professionals;
2. partners, single proprietors of businesses and board directors of corporations duly registered with appropriate government agencies;
3. actors, actresses, directors, scriptwriters and news correspondents who do not fall within the definition of the term "employee;"
4. professional athletes, coaches, trainers and jockeys;
5. farmers and fisherfolks; and
6. workers in the informal sector such as market and ambulant vendors, public utility transport drivers, tourism industry-related workers, and others similarly situated.